The imposing red brick building started life as the town’s first electricity generating station, built and equipped for the princely sum of £7,433 and officially opened by Leek Urban District Council in June 1904 – an era when electric lighting was still a novelty.
Nowadays the space where massive dynamos churned out power for the town is a hive of activity producing a wide range of agricultural equipment.
The works housed the town’s electricity generating plant until 1946 and in subsequent years has been the base for a succession of companies including power engineering and furniture manufacture.
Hall Engineering purchased the site at the start of 2011, representing a £500,000 investment for the company with significant improvements being made to the building’s structure and interior. The half-acre site provides 10,000 square feet of working space, an ample storage yard and valuable space for expansion in the future.